Saturday, June 19, 2010

Hebrews 11v8-10

It was by faith that Abraham, when God called him, obeyed and went out to a place where he was to receive an inheritance. Off he went, not knowing where he was going. It was by faith that he stayed in the promised land as a stranger, living in tents with Isaac and Jacob, who were joint heirs of the same promise. He was looking ahead, you see, to the city which has foundations, the city of which God is the designer and builder.

I’ve spent a lot of time walking recently with no specific idea where I was going. This concerned a lot of people and lets face it…for someone to drop what they’ve been doing and start wandering around…well it’s not normal. It was weirding me out for cryin' out loud. For me I knew God had something for me and at the time the destination was not really what God was so much concerned about, rather obedience. Go to a place where I will show you. I am amazed by all the people I met on my journey. Some people I witnessed to on the street, not something I’ve ever been particularly good at. Almost every person received me well. Color me stoked. Sometimes I felt uncomfortable, like I was opening a door that the Lord didn’t…and they ended up just being uncomfortable interactions because I got in the way. The Lord also sent me messengers.

On the way, walking to church to see if there was anything I could do to help out and a man on a bike stopped me and said,” Praise the Lord, I was praying this morning and the Lord told me I’d meet you right here like this. Here is someone not doing it for the money!” He blessed me, gave me a card for his church and off he went. I started to cry he was was a breathe life on hot wilderness day. I went on to get attacked ferociously by the enemy the rest of the day, but that interaction got me through as best as my faith would allow.

One time, when I started thinking too far ahead I got confused about where the Lord had me headed, but then a brother from the church saw me pulled over and asked if I needed some direction. He wanted to know if I wanted a ride home or to church to see the pastor. I opted for the latter.

During my walks the Lord dealt with me on a lot of issues and we fought many battles and lies too. It was some of the most intense time I’ve spent with God during this past few months. Some of the closest time I’ve ever had.

Abraham’s journey was a lot like this with many twists and turns and some interesting people crossing his path. He was moved to some really weird things and messed up and struggled with much. He was chosen of God to launch creation’s rescue mission. The creator God was going to reclaim his fallen creation and the plan started with this one man and his faith. By faith he sojourned in a land that was going to be his, or rather his descendants. He was passing through, but would ultimately be the possessor of this land and all of redeemed creation. How? Faith. Healing. Love. Spirit. Resurrection. Jesus.

For the Hebrew you and those who come from you are one and the same as you (we already discussed this from Hebrews 7v9-10). This is why murder is so wrong to kill one man is not just to kill that man but a nation of people who would come from them. This is where we get in tune with Paul’s use of the word Christ and we are the body of Christ growing and being knit together with power over against the flesh, but by the spirit. This is how Abraham becomes a father of many nations and the scriptures are fulfilled in Christ.

As we have Abraham, Isaac and Jacob dwelling in tents moving throughout the middle east. So we have the triune God living in and among our body. Or do we not know we are the temple of the living God. Jesus being the chief cornerstone, the Apostles the pillars? Each living stone growing into mighty city coming down from heaven above.

Just as they sojourned in a land that would be theirs, so we experience heaven and earth now in the midst of hope that it will one day be flooded with God’s own presence as the waters cover the sea. What kind of body must we have for that? Read 1 Corinthians 15v35-58… a spirit driven body, not a body driven by the old nature. The external stuff gets changed race, creed, color, nationality, culture, faith practices … rolled up like clothes…in the twinkling of an eye this can happen. The Word remains. He is incorruptible and eternal. Let us not set our hope on the flesh which is here today and gone tomorrow, but on the things that are above, the living God revealed fully in Jesus. The name above every name.


So the Messiah came and gave the good news. Peace had come! Peace, that is, for those of you who were a long way away, and peace, too, for those who were close at hand. Through Him, you see, we both have access to the Father in one Spirit.

This is the result. You are no longer foreigners or strangers. NO: you are fellow citizens with God’s holy people. You are members of God’s household. You are built on the foundations of the apostles and prophets, with King Jesus himself as the cornerstone. In Him the whole building is fitted together, and grows into a holy temple in the Lord. You, too, are being built up together, in him, into a place where God will live by the Spirit.
Ephesians 2v17-22

AMEN and HALLELUIA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers