Saturday, June 25, 2011

Like A Thief In The Night: Luke 12v35-48


This is a scripture that has come to mean a lot to me. I don’t want to get into conversation here (though I would certainly enjoy it) over whether Jesus is talking about his second coming as the end of time or the long awaited return of YHWY to His people that Jesus was about to embody in Jerusalem at the Passover and the judgment that would come within this generation, 40 years later. I personally believe him to be speaking of the latter, but that is (again) for another time. That does not mean this scripture does not have implications for us today as I will explain…

Last summer, I was awoken from my sleep and experienced God like never before, with that came a strong call to repentance and a greater level of discipleship and service. Then...well nothing very specific was revealed and when it didn’t pan out in the time frame I desired or in the ways I speculated that it ought to...I was disappointed and I slipped back into some sinful ways…worse than ever before actually, I came under attack and didn’t even put up a fight, got sloppy and lazy with both my service and my devotions and worse, my prayer life.

A few months into this and one night I started having dreams that opened my eyes to what I was doing, makes me nauseous just thinking about it,some things I didn’t even realize, other things that I was justifying and allowing myself to be deceived into, not to mention I had recently prayed, with the elders, that God would, according to the scriptures, faithfully judge me as I judge others. That’s a dangerous prayer, and he was faithful. He returned a lot of thoughts on me that I had thought towards others in my heart and He really let me have it. But suddenly, my eyes where open and God was everywhere, with most everyone speaking words right to my heart with my mind either accusing or affirming me, my conscience bearing witness of my intentions as well, all showing that His law is written on my heart and His judgments are right and true. But oh, believe you me, the enemy was right there to rip into me through all this too, accusing and trying to convince me of all sorts of lies and whispering that I was done for day and night, worthless refuse. Praise be to God for Jesus Christ our Lord who defended me and my brothers and sisters whom He worked through to minister to me as I entered deep confession, deliverance prayer and council.

I can say with confidence,our God is an all consuming fire. When He returns to His temple, learn from my error…be dressed and ready to go! One of my dreams had me running out of the Holy place at night having received a reward…look at me…look at me…only to be met by an official barreling at me out of the dark of night and beating me down. The beating was light, but poignant. Be humble with the gifts He awards you, they’re not primarily for you and you didn’t earn them anyway…they’re gifts.

There is discipline.

There is also redemption by grace…

Then I looked and I saw there were many servants there praying with their backs to me. ‘Who will do it?’ I heard. But no one answered…then suddenly …‘I will do it’ came a voice and I found myself being lifted up and immersed in fire and drawn back up again while the others prayed. The fire did not hurt and it changed me so that I was not on fire, but was one with the fire as it filled me…and then I woke up deeply convicted, trembling and wanting to clean house right NOW! I have known others who have been baptized into Christ, served him faithfully for years…and then one day, while in bed at night or perhaps just sitting under a tree somewhere, without warning… a vision from the Lord that showed them great things that would forever shape their lives and ministry. God is good and He is faithful, His Word does not go forth void, but accomplishes that for which it has been sent.

Make no mistake, our God redeems us that we should know Him and Jesus Christ whom He sent. This so that we should become holy that when He comes to us, He should fill His temple with His presence that we might be a Light to the world and shew forth that the knowledge of YHWY will cover the earth as the waters cover the sea.

I can only say that in all this…much grace has been given me and so much is required…that’s my personal conviction I hope you have one too. Christ has come and He will come again…are you dressed and ready? Are your lamps lit?

May we honor the One who was and is and is to come, the Beginning and the End, the only immortal, invisible and eternal God. May we work out our salvation with fear and trembling that we may be found worthy, being ever watchful for the day of our visitation that we should receive Him graciously when He knocks and may the fire of His glorious presence fill us that we might be holy as He is holy. And may we give glory to God our Father for His great love and patience towards us, His beloved children whom he disciplines in Christ Jesus. Amen

“The kingdom of God is not coming with signs to be observed; nor will they say, ‘Look, here it is!’ or, ‘There it is!’ For behold, the kingdom of God is in your midst.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers