Monday, October 3, 2011

Sebastian's Favorite Prayer


I had the opportunity to join my friends from Kairos (translates 'God's special time') Prison Ministry for eight weeks of preparation and four days spent in Martin County Correctional Institution where I had the opportunity to spend time with some amazing guys, who've had a real hard road and ,honestly, have done some pretty terrible stuff...but haven't we all. The truth is most of us just never got busted. The guys on the inside (we call them 'candidates')were just amazed by the love of God in His people, both those of us who where there and all those who where praying and sacrificing of themselves to make the weekend happen. I was at the table of Paul and we earned that name. The guys at my table ribbed me a bit since I was the 'youngest dude' on the Kairos team. That's ok by me though, most of the guys on my team are like these spiritual powerhouses (don't tell them I said that though!), Pastor Steve talks to you about the power of forgiveness and the Spirit just lifts the weight off of you, Pastor Shamus just says to you 'peace' as he's shaking your hand and you feel peace wash over you. My friend Al has this joy in service that is almost disgustingly infectious. Denny, who leads the worship, has got this gentleness and commitment to the team that is just flat out humbling. I could go on through the whole team, but let me just say that, for me, these are the guys who take Matthew 5v16 and put flesh and blood on it. It's such a blessing to be in such and amazing Family.

Anyway, part of the ministry is that everybody gets these little green books. They aren't fancy, but they mean a lot to the guys who are just having their first experience of Christ. I keep mine in my car and Sebastian has been picking something out every morning to read for worship time (Our special time with God) with Ayden and I as we drive to school. It's a great time to remember all our Kairos friends too. Tonight at dinner we were talking with my wife about it and Sebastian said his favorite is page 11. We spent a good amount of time talking over the 'big words' and what we are actually coming to God with in this prayer. Anyway...I said all that to share this with you:

Jesus, come join us
in our journey
as we seek your will
for this community
in this environment.

Teach us to love each other
as you love us,
to give ourselves
as you give yourself
that the kingdom of God
might be made present to all. Amen

1 comment:

  1. prisoners face tough daily questions our free SPREAD THE WORD TALK WITH THE LORD program inspires daily talks catch they need your help with first question our blogs help g hubbard po box 2232 ponte vedra fl 32004 http://talkwiththelord.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Followers