Monday, April 11, 2011

Agape: Something All Together...Different


John 17 is one of my most treasured areas of scripture. It really shows me how serious Jesus was about what He was sent to do (John 3v16-17). Just to meditate for a few minutes on the grandeur, the scale and intricacy of that prayer...this is what He desired, what He believed the Kingdom message was about and what it was to accomplish on earth as in heaven. That He who was without sin would give us His own glory, that He would make us to be one in Him...it is amazing!

It's written that our God is a jealous God. I'm jealous quite a bit, but not the same way He is jealous. I found out that I have a corrupted version of jealousy. While God is jealous 'for' us, my jealousy tends to be 'of'... well, fill in the blank.

A form of godliness, but a denial of its power? Not quite, but dangerously close at times. I never realized just how wicked the human heart is, how quick to accuse and demand control, to self justify and shift blame. From Catholic to Protestant, Modern to Post-Modern, Conservative to Liberal, from Neighbor to Neighbor and Pew to Pew, Brother to Brother...None of us can stop it ourselves; however, it has been my experience recently that every battle fought and won, in His Power, over this 'rising up' of sin... is a tremendous builder of faith.

This seems to be no problem, plenty of opportunity for growth, since it turns out that many of the godly attributes that I thought I had... are good enough to deceive myself, but bad enough to do damage to myself and others. So should we increase sin so that grace may abound? May it never be! Praise God for His grace that leads to repentance and sustains us even as we mess up, getting things terribly wrong in our hearts and in our minds...and on from there. However, he has written His law on our hearts and His promised rest is with us and ever before us as we seek His Kingdom and His righteousness.

See? Look how we share in one another's burdens, treating them as our own. By sharing in Christ's suffering this way, we store up treasures for ourselves in heaven. Though I am genuinely undeserving... do you see the gift of the genuine love and concern you showed? I find myself in awe and wonder! It's an overwhelming thing to take in. I am becoming more and more excited for the profit that the blessings and prayers you have sent me and my family are going to yield...a profit that increases to your account!

I was utterly ill and riddled with sin and still I struggle...even so I'm so thankful for the faithful who have been laboring over me and my household recently...all of you. I look at the love you have all shown and give glory to God our Father and our Lord Jesus Christ. In all patience you have walked in Him...whether it was casting out demons, listening to confession, fervent prayer, forgiveness and trust issues, healing wounds, prophesying, double-edged spiritual battle...the Lord works all things together for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purposes.

Let His teaching fall like rain and His words descend like dew, like showers on new grass, abundant rain on tender plants.

As the farmer waits for the precious produce of the soil, being patient about it, until it gets the early and late rains. You too be patient; strengthen your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is near.

Behold, the LORD has proclaimed to the end of the earth,
Say to the daughter of Zion, "Lo, your salvation comes;
Behold His reward is with Him, and His recompense before Him."
And they will call them, "The holy people,
The redeemed of the LORD";
And you will be called, "Sought out, a city not forsaken."

Grace and peace in Christ.

2 comments:

Followers